home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

March 23, 2011

A Fun Find

I've always been puzzled with how to decorate the space above my kitchen cabinets since they don't go all the way to the ceiling. I've decided that I'm going to start collecting jars and other found items to display up there. While at the Goodwill the other day, I came across this old spice rack (it was only $1.99). It was pretty dingy and needed some sprucing up but I fell in love with the curvy lines and the old character.

I got out my handy, dandy sponge sander and gave it a little clean up. I then spray primed it and then gave it a light coat of vanilla spray paint. I distressed it a little when it was dry. It still needed a little tweaking so I used my silhouette to cut out some cute little scrolls and a couple of birds. I mod podged those onto the shelf. I love the end result. It's perfect and I think it will look great in my kitchen.

I love finding something past it's prime and turning it into something beautiful. Have you found any hidden treasures lately? If not, look around and see what you can find.









Shara Pin It

1 comment: