home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

April 19, 2011

DIY Shower Curtain Tutorial

Yesterday, I posted pictures of my newest love, my shower curtain. I searched and searched for the right curtain in the right colors and could not find what I was looking for. So, I decided to create my own.

I apologize in advance for not taking detailed pictures along the way but I was so excited about this project that I forgot.

I bought a plain white waffle weave fabric curtain from Target for $14.99. I was going to try fabric paint on it but decided that with the waffle weave, my lines might not come out perfectly straight. My next idea involved ribbon and heat and bond tape.




I scoured JoAnn's for the perfect ribbon to match the wall art I created here. I wanted an aqua and red stripe. I found several spools of ribbon that would work in a variety of widths and textures.

Before starting this project, make sure you prewash the shower curtain. Lay the shower curtain out on the floor and decide where you want the ribbon to be and cut the ribbon leaving about 1/2 on each end so you can fold it over.

Next, using the Heat and Bond Tape (I used the no sew since I wasn't sewing the ribbon on), iron the tape to the wrong side of the ribbon. For the fatter ribbon I ironed on two layers of tape, one on each edge. Peel off the paper backing and position the ribbon where you want it to go. Iron it on. Fold each end over and iron onto the backside of the curtain. Repeat with each ribbon stripe.

I used a variety of spacing for my stripes. I like the fun, fresh look it creates and it made it easier not to worry about placing them exactly straight. Once it's hanging up, you can't tell if it's a little crooked.

This is an easy way to create a fun and unique shower curtain to match whatever decor you choose. I love the different textures of the ribbon along with the texture of the waffle weave. It creates a fresh look that will grow with my kids.

The total cost for this project was $29.45. This is much cheaper than some premade curtains out there. I hope this post inspires you to create something unique that you love.

Shara


Linking Up Here:
Blue Cricket Designs

House of Hepworths Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fun color combo for the bath. I think you made the right move with ribbon (vs. paint)... the lines look so crisp. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Don't you just love that fabric tape??..I girl who doesn't sew {ahem..me} would find plenty of uses for it..I love the way you used it! Good job!

    ReplyDelete