home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

September 25, 2012

Burlap Curtains

This past couple of weeks have been full of broken appliances and other household items. I think my house hates me lately! The latest thing to break was one of the sets of blinds in our family room. The only curtains I had in this room were some very sheer curtains. I knew they wouldn't provide as much privacy as I would like since our house backs up the the neighborhood park. I don't have money at the moment for new blinds so I came up with my own solution.

Here's what the windows looked like before:



I decided to make some new curtains for these windows from some burlap. Burlap is inexpensive. I got mine for $2.99 a yard plus a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby so that was a steal which was good because I needed roughly 8 yards to make the 4 panels. I picked a lovely cream burlap instead of the usual coffee sack brown color. My couch sits under the windows so traditional curtain panels always end up being far too long. So I knew that making them was the way to go. I also wanted to dress up the burlap with a little white ruffle to add some interest. Once I added the first row of ruffles, I knew I needed more and three is the perfect number. Always three!






They turned out so cute. I love the simplicity and the amount of light they let in while still providing the perfect amount of privacy. Plus they give the room a romantic, rustic feel which I love! The color is perfect and looks great against my blue walls. Overall, the project was cheap and easy except for the endless amount of burlap fuzz that is now all over me and my craft room.

Hope you are enjoying your week. I pray that nothing else breaks in my house for awhile. :0)

Happy Crafting,

Shara Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Love them! Great job Shara!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking ruffles for my bedroom, but they may be too sheer...

    ReplyDelete