home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

October 14, 2011

Kitchen Curtain Valance

I've needed kitchen curtains ever since we moved in almost 4 years ago. The house had mini blinds already installed in the kitchen window but I never use them. They are an eye sore and I love looking out into my backyard while washing dishes. Taking the blinds down could be an option but then I feel that the window would be too bare. I wanted a simple, fun valance.

One problem I faced is that the kitchen cabinets butt up right against the window with only a couple of inches to spare on each side. I knew using a standard curtain rod would not work so I opted for a tension rod that I mounted between the cabinets.

The curtain valance is just a simple panel attached to another simple panel with rick rack trim. The curtains took me all of 20 minutes to cut and sew. I sewed the sides first then the top and bottom and then added the two pieces together. I have no idea why I waited this long. I guess I was a little intimidated to make curtains since I never have before.



I love how they turned out. I think the  red pulls the other pops of red int he room together and the rick rack gives it a fun almost vintage-y vibe.

What do you think?

Shara Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment