home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

April 6, 2011

Spring Subway Art

I've been dying to attempt to make some subway art ever since I got my Silhouette machine. I love subway art and can never get enough of it! I took my love for subway art and added my own flare. When I saw the free Silhouette item of the week this past week, I knew what I was going to do. I started with a 12x24 sheet of plywood that I had lying around. I painted the whole background a creamy white. I only did one coat because I wanted to see a bit of the wood grain through the paint. My next step was an Epic Craft Fail so instead of doing a chevron background like I intended, I opted for the easy diagonal stripes. I used painters tape to make my stripes and then lightly coated the stripes with a lime green craft paint. I wanted the background to look old so I sanded it down quite a bit with my sponge sander. I cut out the shapes I wanted to use with my Silhouette and then painted them by dabbing with my sponge brush. After the paint dried, I sanded the whole board again to get the worn, aged look. The final step was adding vinyl lettering using my Silhouette. I contemplated stenciling the letters but decided to use vinyl so the letters would stand out better. I love how this turned it out. It makes me happy and the colors are so bright and cheery and make me long for spring (since we actually had snow here this morning)! It looks fantastic hanging in my craft room. Hope everyone is having a crafty week. Shara Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment