home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

December 24, 2012

Handmade Christmas Gift #3

My niece H, holds a special place in my heart. I babysat her for the first 2 years of her life so she's like my own little munchkin. We call her our "sister cousin" because she's like the little sister to my 3.

This year for Christmas, I wanted to make her something special. She's starting to get into dress up and tries on my 5 year olds dress up clothes every time she comes over. I decided to make her a dress up trunk. I've been keeping my eye out for the perfect piece for months. I finally stumbled upon an old vintage metal trunk. It's the perfect size to hold all things dress up and could potentially grow with her and serve other purposes as she gets older.



The trunk was a little beat up but I loved the character of the piece so I didn't want to change too much. I decorated the top with a simple initial design. The inside had a few minor stains but I loved the look of the inner lining so I really didn't want to have to change up the whole thing.  Instead, I added an assortment of vintage inspired labels that add just the right amount of character while covering up the stains. I finished it off with a quote from Dr. Suess' "Oh, the Places You'll Go! I thought it would tie in nicely to the vintage dress up trunk.





Even with the flaws, this dress up trunk is beautiful and I think my niece will love it and put it to good use. I love being able to put something that has been discarded to good use. I hope H loves it as much as I do.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Shara Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment