home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

May 9, 2012

A Fun Desk Make Over and My New Favorite Paint Color

So, I have this friend who is also obsessed with finding great furniture finds as I am. She found this desk and offered it up to me and of course I said yes. I loved the art deco-ish style and the funky hardware but boy was this bad boy in bad shape!



I sanded this desk down to the bare wood. It took a lot of time but it needed all the old flaking finish gone before I could do anything. Then it sat for a week or so because I was unsure what I wanted to do with this piece. I stumbled upon a pin on Pinterest of a lovely buffet makeover using the color "plumage" by Martha Stewart Paint. OMW! This color is divine! It's such a great combination of teal and gray with even a hint of navy in certain lights. This color is so fabulous.


Anyway, back to the painting. I ended up adding white stripes the the drawer fronts because I felt it was lacking something. I love that little punch of white. Then I distressed it quite a bit. I also wanted to keep the funky drawer pulls but the old brass was pretty banged up. I sanded them down a bit and spray painted them with Krylon's Oil Rubbed Bronze.





I love how this desk turned out. I'm really debating keeping it instead of selling it. This color is to die for and would look perfect in my house if I only had room for it! We'll see what happens...

Happy Crafting,
Shara Pin It

1 comment:

  1. you are soooo talented! i love love love it! you need a lil shop!

    ReplyDelete