home about me gift ideas make overs and DIY tutorials contact

July 18, 2011

Chalk Paint Makeover

The buzz about Annie Sloan's chalk paint is all over blogland. I've been dying to try it for awhile now but haven't had the money. It's quite expensive for paint but since it requires no priming or sanding, it makes up for it. I ordered it through my local stockist The Bella Bungalow. It arrived today and Oh.My.Word I love it!

I bought 2 nightstands for our Master Bedroom last week on Craigslist. We have a really tall bed so I've been on the lookout for a pair of nightstands that are tall and have a lot of storage. The two I found are rock solid and were in fabulous condition. Unfortunately, the previous owners were smokers (which of course I didn't realize) and the nightstands reeked of smoke. I aired them out and scrubbed them down. Even though chalk paint doesn't require a primer, I used a primer on the inside of the nightstand to combat the smell which worked like a charm.



Since I didn't need to sand or prime, I got to work. I used Paris Gray and the paint is so smooth and creamy. It glided onto the surface. I painted two coats and then used a coat of clear wax on top as a finishing coat. I then distressed the edges a bit and applied the final layer of wax. I also spray painted the knobs with a metallic oil rubbed bronze spray paint.






I absolutely adore this nightstand. It turned out even better than I hoped. The color is perfect and the surface feels nice and smooth. I'm really impressed with chalk paint and look forward to painting the other nightstand this week. If you ever get a chance to try chalk paint, I highly recommend it.

Hope you had a fun and relaxing weekend,
Shara Pin It

1 comment:

  1. That is a great make-over!!! And glad you were able to cover the smoke smell.

    ReplyDelete